The wooden ceiling, painted blue and gold was constructed during the Tudor Period in the 1530s. The design of the windows dates from the same period, although the windows themselves are replicas which were installed in 1894.
The present royal pew, the oak panelling, the marble floor and the various wall paintings, were all part of a programme of work initiated by Queen Anne in 1710.
The pews, the panelling and the pillars supporting the Royal pew are of Norwegian oak, designed by Sir Christopher Wren, famous architect and 'Surveyor General to the King' and executed under the direction of Grinling Gibbons, Woodcarver to the Queen.
The present choir stalls date from 1973 (the choir having previously been located on either side of the sanctuary), and the choir organ console from 1993.
The oak reredos behind the altar was originally carved by Grinling Gibbons for the Palace of Whitehall, and the decision was made to bring it to Hampton Court in 1696. Gibbons was commissioned to dismantle it and to supervise its transportation by water and re-erection on the new site. This was fortuitous; two years later Whitehall was almost completely destroyed by a fire. Although the oval shape in the centre of the reredos inevitably begs the question: “Was there once a picture in the middle?” The answer is that the inventories of the Chapel have never recorded an oval picture that might have occupied the space.